If Facebook were a country, it would be the world’s third most populated, with over 400,000,000 users.
Whether you know it or not some of your employees, customers, suppliers and competitors will be engaging in activities using social media. How do you protect your company from unwanted exposure in this medium?
BlandsLaw offers specialist risk management legal advice to companies with regard to their strategy, implementation and management of social media in the workplace. This enables companies to benefit from using social media while minimising the inherent risks.
Why use a specialist Social Media lawyer?
Social media is a complex area of expertise, encompassing several key areas of law, and is best managed by a law firm that fully understands all the commercial implications.
As BlandsLaw has expertise in workplace law and is an active user of social media, we consider ourselves well placed to advice companies on the many aspects of social media.
“I worked with Vivienne, Danica and the team at BlandsLaw when establishing a social media policy for CropLife Australia. BlandsLaw offered an extensive, flexible and diverse social media policy for our agricultural and policy driven company. One of the greatest assets in working with BlandsLaw was that they “preach what they teach”. In this regard, they didn’t just offer a service, but also actively engage in social media on a regular basis. Another sensational aspect was the depth, understanding and expertise of their staff. Tailoring a social media policy specifically to fit our company needs is integral to the cohesive structure of our business. Through simple and regular interactions, we were able to create and enact a successful social media policy that is currently seeing our company take new and exciting leaps forward. They made the process of ‘dipping our toe into the social media pool’ effortless. ” Thomas Whitty, Communications & Campaign Manager, Croplife Australia
Specialist Services Offered:
1. Social Media Policy – Providing Companies with an essential, customised, risk management tool.
Through consultation with our clients we can develop a social media policy tailored specifically to their business and addressing specific requirements and potential areas of risk.
Issues we consider include:
- Access – who do you want to have access to social media in the workplace and to what and when?. How will you decide that?
- Who is responsible for the implementation and mentoring/management of social media in your workplace?
- Issues relating to specific areas of the business that you will want to address. For example a company selling highly technical or professional products or services may only want certain, more qualified employees to comment about certain technical questions/aspects of the business rather than leaving it up to the general masses.
- Privacy issues – how do you protect confidential company, client/supplier and employee information?
- Monitoring – what can you do to monitor usage of social media?
- Violation consequences. The strategies of dealing with violations of company policy will be different in many situations.
- Integration with existing employment policies.
All employees need to be trained on a company’s social media policy to ensure they understand how to engage safely and within the company’s guidelines and strategy. Failure to train employees leaves companies exposed to multiple risks – most notably bad publicity and employment disputes.
BlandsLaw can provide two key training services:
- Train the Trainer - We can train the key people within your organisation to assist them with ongoing training programs for their staff.
- Whole of Business Training - Alternatively, BlandsLaw can provide training to all company employees, usually done on a departmental basis to cover specific focus, on an ongoing basis.
3. Crisis Management
What do you do if something goes wrong? Currently most companies will have a Public Relation strategy in place. What about the legal implications?
BlandsLaw can provide 24×7 access to legal assistance if your company encounters a social media crisis.
4. Ongoing Strategic Advice
The constant about social media is its constant change, development and application. Many companies employ a social media strategist to assist them meet the demands of this ever changing environment.
BlandsLaw offers advice on the legal implications of your social media strategy decisions. If you are trying to decide on which strategy to implement we can assist you by offering you legal advice specific to that decision.
Get a Standard Social Media Policy
We also have available for purchase a standard social media policy that is ready for quick customisation and use by companies. You may preview the headlines in this document to see what is included in the policy.
Standard Social Media Policy: $500 plus GST
Or Click on the link to find out more about our social media policy packages at MySocialPolicy
We also have available for purchase a standard social media policy that is ready for quick customisation and use by companies.